It doesn’t take much ornamentation to embellish your rooms beautifully and get you, your family and friends into the holiday spirit. It’s like adding garnish to a dish to make all the difference in how it looks and tastes.
You may be the type of person that goes all out for the holidays – and that’s great. But don’t despair if you want a holiday feeling in your home, but also want to keep it simple. There are lots of small ways to decorate your home for the holidays, with a minimum of cost and effort, and a maximum of enjoyment!
First prioritize which rooms have the biggest impact in creating a feeling of holiday cheer in your house. This might include your living room or great room, your dining room, the kitchen, the front door or your entry way.
Then consider small ways to make your home festive:
– Wreaths or garlands of fresh, fragrant pine
– A holiday tree, poinsettias or Christmas cacti
– Holiday scented candles scattered around the house
– Bowls of sparkly ornaments
– Scented logs for your fireplace
– Dining room centerpieces and linens
– Garlands of holiday lights, for outdoors or indoors
– Holiday throws and pillows
– Sweet smelling fresh-baked desserts and mulled ciders and wines
Select a consistent color scheme so your holiday look has continuity. Red, green, gold, silver, blue and white are traditional holiday colors. Or you can be creative and update these traditional colors toward hues of fuchsia or pink, turquoise, lime or acid green, copper or brass.
Add just a few holiday accents this season to make your home feel festive and warm. Then sit back, relax and enjoy the season!