White, used as an accent color or the primary neutral in a room, will help your house look and feel bright, airy and cool. It’s perfect for hot summer days and evenings, yet lasts throughout the year, lightening a room on dark winter days.
Even though “white” seems like one color, the shade actually comes in many different versions. Warm white hues are often used to enhance elegant home designs, while cooler tones work well in contemporary or modern rooms. White can calm your rooms or make them more energetic depending on the shade of white you select and the colors you use around it.
Almost any interior design elements look beautiful in white, including:
– Paint on walls and moldings
– Upholstery and drapery fabric
– Floor coverings, including rugs, carpets and hard surfaces
– Tile backsplashes, showers, walls and countertops
– Window treatments
– Table and bed linens
You can decorate a room almost all in white without it appearing bland, boring or stark. The key is using a variety of textures – rough and smooth finishes, soft and hard qualities, and matte and glossy surfaces.
Also consider adding colors to enhance your white decor:
– White is stunning when used with black.
– White is warmed up when joined with dark, rich colors like chocolate brown, deep blue or gray.
– White is serene when paired with other neutrals, such as cream, taupe, tan and light gray.
– White can be combined with almost any other color palette, including shades of blue, green, pink, red or gold.
Add white to your décor for a clean, clear look that works all year round.